Is CBD Oil Legal in Louisiana? LA Hemp Oil Laws (2023)
This article focuses on the legality of CBD oil in Louisiana. We break down the laws regarding different sources of CBD – hemp and marijuana – share tips on how to buy high-quality CBD supplements, and highlight the most trustworthy brands for 2022. You’ll also learn about the legality of delta-8 THC and other hemp-derived cannabinoids in Louisiana.
If you’re wondering where to buy CBD oil legally in Louisiana, this article is for you. Here we explain local hemp and marijuana laws and share our top picks for reliable CBD suppliers.
CBD is making big waves in the United States as more people continue to discover its therapeutic versatility, the interest in its legality increases.
Whether CBD oil is legal or illegal in Louisiana depends on its source.
Here we share everything there is to know about buying CBD in Louisiana. By the end of this article, you’ll become an informed customer and be able to tell the difference between high-quality supplements and substandard products.
Is CBD Oil Legal in Louisiana in 2023?
Yes, you can legally purchase hemp-derived CBD oils in Louisiana.
However, you need to make sure that your product contains no more than 0.3% delta-9 THC, the active compound in marijuana that can make you feel high.
Below we explain the difference between hemp-derived and marijuana-derived CBD oils.
Related: States Where CBD Oil Is Legal
Hemp CBD Oil in Louisiana
The Agricultural Act of 2018, also known as the Farm Bill, removed hemp and its derivatives from the Controlled Substance Act.
The new law legalized hemp at the federal level.
That’s when it became legal to buy and sell CBD supplements from hemp in Louisiana and across the USA.
Governor John Bel further augmented CBD’s legality by signing House Bill 491 into law in June 2019. The law approved the sale of hemp-derived products with THC levels at or below 0.3%.
Marijuana CBD Oil in Louisiana
Marijuana-derived CBD oils are illegal to possess in Louisiana without a doctor’s recommendation. That’s because such products contain high levels of THC.
The government doesn’t distinguish between 1% THC cannabis and 15% or 30% cannabis. It treats them all as “marijuana.”
Weed remains illegal for recreational use in Louisiana.
Related: Louisiana Marijuana Laws
Penalties for Marijuana Possession
Louisiana decriminalized the possession of 14 g or less of marijuana, meaning you’ll only be charged with a $100 ticket.
Carrying more than 15 grams and less than 2.5 pounds may lead to 6 months in jail and a $500 fine.
If you’re caught with more than 2.5 pounds, you’ll be charged with a felony, punishable by 2-40 years in jail and $30,000-$100,000 in fines depending on the amount.
Can Doctors Prescribe CBD Oil in Louisiana?
While doctors can’t prescribe any cannabis-based product — cannabis is a Schedule I substance according to federal law — they can recommend CBD oil to patients as an adjunctive treatment.
Louisiana has a medical marijuana program, so once approved by a board-certified Louisiana physician, you can purchase marijuana-derived CBD products from licensed medical dispensaries.
Tips for Buying CBD Oil in Louisiana
The CBD oil industry has grown massively over the past decade; this has given rise to a bunch of scammers popping up and trying to leverage the lack of awareness among customers.
There are a few dead-simple steps you can follow to protect yourself against sub-par CBD oils:
- Prioritize certificates of analysis (CoAs) – a laboratory analysis will tell you if the product you want to buy is free from contaminants and contains the declared amount of CBD. Only purchase from companies that provide up-to-date CoAs.
- Opt for full-spectrum products – using the whole hemp plant is more expensive, but you will benefit from valuable compounds, including minor cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids.
- Choose CO2-extracted CBD oils – CO2 extraction is the best method to produce clean and potent CBD oils because it doesn’t rely on high temperatures and hazardous solvents. There are a few cheaper extraction methods out there, but none of them can match the precision and safety of CO2 technology.
- Look for organic hemp – as dynamic bioaccumulators, hemp plants absorb every substance from their environment, including the good and bad ones. Organic hemp is the best for that job. It’s all the better if the other ingredients are organic, too, but hemp is the most important.
Where to Buy CBD Oil in Louisiana
Louisiana is home to a myriad of CBD stores thanks to its friendly laws. You shouldn’t have problems tracking down a decent source; a quick Google search should spit out the nearest local CBD stores in your location.
However, if you’re looking for the most convenient method to buy quality CBD oil, check out the best online stores.
Here’s why I recommend that.
Related: Is CBD Oil in New Orleans, LA?
Benefits of Buying CBD Oil Online
Shopping for CBD oil online offers several benefits when compared to “traditional” shopping, such as:
- Better prices –products sold online are usually less expensive than their in-store counterparts because online stores can cut out the middleman.
- Seasonal discounts – and other smart ways to save money on high-quality CBD oils, such as subscription orders, reward programs, and coupon codes.
- Greater product choice – you can browse through hundreds of different products in the comfort of your home.
- More transparency – buying CBD oil online gives you insight into user reviews and third-party lab reports.
- Fresher products – unlike traditional shops, online retailers don’t hold their products on the shelves for months before they sell them.
Best Online CBD Oil Stores in Louisiana
Looking for a reliable source of CBD oil in Louisiana? Here are the top two leading brands that offer the best deals on CBD supplements in 2023.
|Royal CBD – Full Spectrum
||Click for Best Price|
||Click for Best Price|
Is Delta-8 THC Legal in Louisiana?
Buying CBD Oil in Louisiana: Bottom Line
Louisiana residents can legally use CBD oils from hemp. If you have a qualifying medical condition, you can ask your doctor to recommend marijuana-derived products, which you can purchase in state-licensed dispensaries.
If you’re unable to apply for a medical marijuana card in Louisiana, you can try one of your local head shops or specialized CBD stores. However, I recommend finding an online supplier for the best value for your money.
Keep in mind that the CBD market in the USA is unregulated. The best way to find a reputable brand is to thoroughly check its transparency and read third-party lab reports and customer reviews. This way, you can make a well-informed purchase decision.