CBD oil is completely legal in New York. Hemp-derived CBD oil is legal throughout the state. Businesses and residents are then allowed to grow, buy, sell, process, and use hemp CBD oil.
On the other hand, marijuana-derived CBD oil is only allowed for medical purposes. This is only for patients; a medical marijuana card is required when buying marijuana-based CBD products.
Legalizing hemp CBD allows New Yorkers to find and buy CBD products they need easily. You can find local stores and dispensaries offering different CBD products. There are also many online CBD stores that can legally ship their products to New York.
If you’ve never ordered CBD before, reading this article will help you tell the difference between high-quality and poor-quality products.
Is CBD Oil Legal in New York?
Yes, as long as it contains 0.3% THC or less.
CBD can be produced from hemp and marijuana. Although both plants share the same parent — Cannabis sativa L. — they don’t share the same chemical profile. In fact, these two sources of CBD oil are worlds apart when it comes to their CBD/THC ratios.
Marijuana is naturally high in THC, the intoxicating cannabinoids. CBD oil made from marijuana can get the user high and thus is treated differently than hemp plants.
That’s because hemp has higher concentrations of CBD and only a trace amount of THC (up to 0.3%), so you can’t get high off of CBD products.
Follow these steps, and you’ll be on the right way to finding a reliable source of CBD oil in New York.
Related: States With Legalized CBD
Hemp CBD Oil in New York
Hemp-derived CBD oil is legal in all 50 states under the 2018 Farm Bill.
The new law legalized hemp by removing it from the list of controlled substances. Hemp is now treated like any agricultural crop that can be harvested for a variety of uses, including clothing, paper, fuel, housing, food, and health supplements such as CBD oil.
You can easily buy it over the counter at your local pharmacy, vape shop, or organic food store.
However, before you order CBD oil online or start driving around town to browse local stores, make sure that you know how to weed out sketchy companies from high-quality brands.
Marijuana CBD Oil in New York
On the other hand, CBD oil from marijuana is allowed for medical purposes only in New York. This can be purchased only by those who have a medical marijuana card. To get a medical marijuana card, you need to be diagnosed with one of its qualifying conditions.
Marijuana-derived CBD oil for recreational use remains illegal within the state and could put you in legal trouble if caught in possession.
Read more: Is Weed Legal in New York?
Here’s what you need to know.
Can Doctors Prescribe CBD Oil in New York?
Yes, a licensed doctor can prescribe marijuana-derived CBD oil if you have a medical marijuana card. The registration process is straightforward. You need to be a legal New York resident and show a valid ID. The next step requires you to get a written certification from your physician. This can be done locally or online.
Suppose you want to apply for a medical marijuana card in New York. In that case, you must have one of the following conditions:
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
- Crohn’s disease
- Chronic pain
- Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy
- Huntington’s disease
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Vertebral stenosis condition
- Parkinson’s disease
- Ulcerative colitis
How to Find Quality CBD Products in New York?
Tracking CBD oil locally and online in New York shouldn’t be a problem.
However, the industry lacks regulation, meaning many low-quality products are churned out for sale. As reported by the University of Pennsylvania, almost 70% of CBD sold in local stores aren’t properly labeled.
Here’s what you can do to protect yourself from mislabeled products:
- Choose CBD oil from US-grown, non-GMO hemp. Hemp plants have the ability to absorb every substance from the soil they have been planted in. The best CBD oils in New York are made from organic hemp grown by farmers that don’t use pesticides or growth boosters for their crops, using only clean soil, water, and sunlight.
- Look for CO2-extracted CBD. CO2 extraction is the safest and most efficient way to produce CBD oil. It yields clean extracts with consistent concentrations of CBD throughout all batches but without the use of additional heat or solvents. The equipment required to perform CO2 extraction is also expensive, so it’s a sign that the company cares about the quality of its products.
- Use full-spectrum CBD in your routine. Full-spectrum means that the product was extracted using the whole hemp plant, containing all beneficial compounds such as cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids. These compounds help your body process CBD more efficiently, contributing to the entourage effect.
- Only purchase from brands that test their products in third-party labs. An outside laboratory can test the product for potentially dangerous chemicals such as solvents or heavy metals. They also analyze the CBD content in your oil to verify if it matches the amount written on the label.
- Avoid any company that claims CBD is a miracle drug. CBD is a great tool that can greatly improve your daily life. However, it won’t cure any ailment overnight nor heal you from cancer. If you see a company making such claims, don’t waste your time and money; look elsewhere.
Where to Buy CBD Oil in New York?
Now that you know the main considerations for buying CBD oil, it’s time we shed light on the best places that sell CBD products in New York.
There’s a plethora of CBD stores, vape shops, pharmacies, and organic food stores that may carry one or two types of CBD, but if you’re looking for the best deals on quality products in New York, we recommend that you place your order with a trusted online store.
Reasons to Buy CBD Online
Online stores usually have a greater product selection than most local shops. When you buy CBD online, you can find it in the form of sublingual drops, capsules, edibles, creams, balms, concentrates, vape liquid, and even pet products. And the best part is that you can do it in the coziness of your home. Buying CBD online takes just a few clicks if you know where to look for it.
It’s also easier to research your potential supplier. The internet is full of articles about the quality standards for CBD extracts. You can read expert blogs, reach out to other CBD users on social media and forums, or ask the company to provide Certificates of Analysis from third-party testing.
But above all, online stores can offer better product deals because they cut out the middleman. You can take advantage of coupon codes, regular discounts, bulk pricing, and special reward programs that earn you loyalty points with each purchase. Most companies ship their products to all 50 states within a few business days.
Buying CBD online in New York is the best way to save time and money.
Best Overall CBD Oil
|Royal CBD – Full Spectrum
|Click for Best Price
Best Organic Formula
|Click for Best Price
Local CBD Retailers in New York
As mentioned earlier, New York is home to plenty of CBD stores, so if you need to touch the product and talk with the staff about your CBD goals, here’s the list of recommended suppliers.
CBD Stores in New York City
- Cloud 99 Vapes
- Broadway Smoke Shop & CBD
- Lucky Panda Vape
CBD Stores in Buffalo
- Vitality CBD
- Vapor Trail
- Buffalo Vapor Longue
CBD Stores in Yonkers
- The Vape Cave YO
- Yonkers Smoke Shop
CBD Stores in Rochester
- Hempire State Smoke Shop
- All-natural CBD Store
- Upstate Vape
Summary: What’s the Best Way to Buy CBD Oil in New York?
In New York, it is easy to buy CBD oil products. Why? It is because they are legal. You can either buy them online or from a local shop or dispensary.
New York has made big progress when it comes to cannabis laws. The state’s governor has recently announced that recreational legalization may happen sooner than expected.
If you’re not a medical marijuana patient or want a product that won’t get you high, New York is one of the best places to buy hemp-derived CBD oil.
No matter how you shop for CBD in New York, always run a background check on your potential vendor before handing out your money. Being an educated customer will protect you from making poor decisions and falling into marketing buzzwords.