How to Take Kratom: Powder, Capsules, & Extracts
Kratom is famous for its various benefits. From mood enhancement to improved concentration and even pain relief, its effects have attracted people worldwide.
However, its effects depend entirely on how much you take and the strain you use, which you can learn more about from a trusted vendor.
You’ll also want to know how to take kratom. This can mean taking the popular powder or experimenting with extracts, capsules, or even liquid. Keep reading to learn more about how to take kratom and which method is best for you. We will also recommend the best vendors so that you can skip the research process and order top-quality products today.
How to Take Kratom Powder
Kratom is a herbal supplement made from the leaves of the Mitragyna speciosa tree. It’s native to Thailand, Malaysia, Myanmar, and other countries in Southeast Asia, where it was chewed for centuries or crushed into a fine powder. However, things have changed since, and kratom is a huge industry. This means manufacturers have developed many ways to consume the plant to be accessible to as many people as possible.
Related: Best Kratom Powder
Even though you can now choose between capsules, liquid, extracts, etc., kratom powder is still the most popular form.
Mixing Kratom Powder Into Drinks
Mixing kratom powder into your everyday beverages is a quick and straightforward way to get your fill for the day. Here are a few tips for using kratom powder in your drinks:
- Mix the powder with acidic drinks or some other flavor to mask the bitter taste kratom often has. Lemonade and orange juice are both excellent choices.
- Add a spoonful of sugar to your drink to give it more sweetness. Kratom is usually very bitter, so especially for beginners, sugar can help mask the bitter aftertaste.
- Sometimes, powders won’t dissolve as well in drinks that have too much pulp. Even if your orange juice is pulp-free, orange juice is naturally thicker than other types of juice. For the kratom powder to dissolve completely, it could be good to choose a beverage like mango juice because it is smooth. This way, the powder can dissolve freely.
- Many people prefer mixing kratom powder into hot drinks like coffee or tea. For coffee lovers, dissolve it in your morning cup of joe with ease. Mix it in after your coffee has finished brewing. The powder is also more likely to dissolve better in a hot drink than in a cold one.
Related: Should You Mix Kratom and Alcohol?
Brewing Kratom Tea
Without a doubt, one of the most popular ways to use kratom powder in a drink is by brewing it in tea.
Here are some delicious ways to brew your kratom tea:
- One favorite blend that kratom powder mixes well with is mint tea. Because kratom has a bitter flavor and mint-flavored tea has an earthiness, the two pair well together. Peppermint is probably the most popular, but any mint tea will do the trick.
- Chamomile is another favorite, especially for nighttime. It is a relaxing and herbal-fused tea that mixes well with kratom powder.
- When brewing your tea, it is essential to know that you shouldn’t mix kratom powder into boiling water. If the water is too hot, it will compromise the alkaloids in kratom. To avoid this, let your water sit for a few minutes before adding a tea bag or mixing in the kratom powder.
- Add some honey, lemon, or sugar to your tea to help offset the bitterness and enhance the flavor.
How Much Kratom Powder to Take
Your size and weight will affect how this plant functions in your system. If you have a low percentage of body fat, the effects will work faster, so you will want to start your dose at half the suggested size and work your way up if needed.
Just like with taking medication, it is better to take kratom with food instead of on an empty stomach. This plant will circulate through your system faster if you have no food on your stomach. Be sure to eat something substantial first to avoid nausea or other side effects.
When taking kratom powder, it is also essential to be cautious when measuring it. The tricky thing about powder is that some powder make-ups are finer than others. Not every mixture will be the same grain size, so you will want to scale it out to get an accurate reading.
For stimulating effects, we suggest you take between 2 and 4 grams. For beginners, 1 to 2 grams is the most appropriate.
For pain-relieving effects, 4 to 6 grams is ideal, but again, beginners should take less. For those taking kratom for the first time to help with pain, don’t exceed 4 grams.
Take 6 to 8 grams for strong sedating effects, such as for sleep aid or extreme pain relief. You should only do this if you’re an experienced kratom user. You should not use this amount if you have low body weight or are young.
How to Take Kratom Extract
Kratom extract is a popular choice for people who don’t want to deal with the plant’s intense flavor or smell in its powder form. Since extracts go through distillation, they are more concentrated than straight, non-distilled substances.
Use these tips for taking kratom extract:
- Brew the extract in tea or mix with juice, just like you would with powder. You also can mix a few drops to your drink or even your meal.
- You can also put drops under your tongue, also known as “sublingual administration.”
- Only use a few drops at a time to figure out your tolerance levels. This extract will have a higher concentration of alkaloids than other forms of consumption, so you won’t have to use as much of it to see results.
How Much Kratom Extract to Take
With an extract, the alkaloid to gram ratio differs from using powder or taking a tablet. An extract will be full of the main ingredients and filter out the excess, meaning it will be stronger.
In this sense, you’ll want to use a drop or two to start. Begin with a light serving and then up the dosage if needed.
Many extracts’ packaging comes with a dropper, much like essential oil droppers. This way, you can squeeze a few drops into your drink or on food easily.
How to Take Kratom Capsules
When you need a quick method to take kratom, capsules are a great way to go. With regular powder or extracts, you have to find somewhere to put them — either in a beverage or on food. It’s just like taking a pill — quick and simple.
Even with extracts, it can be difficult to overlook the taste that lingers with kratom. Capsules allow you to avoid it. All that bitter flavor gets trapped in a capsule, so you don’t have to worry about covering up the taste or powering through it. Simply grab a glass of water and swallow it as you would a tablet.
Some people even make their own kratom powder capsules. Here’s a quick guide for how to measure your powder accurately when making your own capsules:
- You’ll need to choose a type of capsules, such as veggie or gel. Empty capsules are usually available at local health stores.
- You might consider buying a capsule machine to pack the powder into the capsule. A capsule machine looks like a small box with slots for the empty capsules. It merely helps keep things organized so that you won’t have to measure your powder every time you take a dose.
- If you choose to measure and pack the capsules by hand alone, measure the dosage, so you get the exact amount each time.
- To fill capsules by hand, wear latex gloves, push the larger open side of the capsule into the kratom powder to pack it, and then cap the small end securely.
How Many Kratom Capsules to Take
Determining how many to take is the other easy part of capsules. There is no measuring involved, and they’re easy to transport. The only issue is that it could mean taking a handful of pills if you require a large dose.
Depending on what company you buy from will determine how you know what the dosage size is. Each vendor will offer different amounts, but there will usually be dosage instructions to explain which products have stronger or weaker mixtures.
Taking capsules is a quick and stress-free way to incorporate kratom into your diet. Take a capsule on the go, at home before work, or at night before you go to bed. They are easy to store and easy to transport.
Best Kratom Vendors to Buy From
The big question now is how do you get good quality kratom in these forms? We’re glad you asked.
It can be challenging to choose a reputable vendor when you don’t know where to start. Each company may offer different packages, not to mention prices may vary.
Each vendor also has pros and cons, so it’s crucial to consider some things before settling on one.
First, be sure that the company is a member of the American Kratom Association. The organization vets its members and promotes education on kratom. Vendors associated with the AKA are professional, have expertise in the industry, and are trusted companies that sell the best products.
You should also check if the company tests the products. There’s a reason why products need testing before going on sale. Car prototypes have test drives before they ever go on the market to prove that they are safe and efficient. Your kratom vendor should also test their products.
You will be ingesting them, after all.
Simply check the company’s website for a statement saying that they test their products in a laboratory. Most companies will test them for authenticity and whether they contain other substances, but it’s good to check and be safe.
Here are three vendors that meet these criteria because of their standards, inventory, and service.
This company specializes in kratom variants from Southeast Asia, so you can choose between a wide range of diverse strains. With free United States shipping and their money-back guarantee, this company gives its regulars an incentive to return. If you do not like a product, simply send it back and order another until you find the perfect product that you love.
- Wide variety of strains from Southeast Asia
- Best value and prices
- AKA member vendor
- Third-party testing for all products
- Established relationships with farmers, ensuring better quality and prices
We’ve discussed various ways to take kratom. Powder and capsules are both popular, but Star Kratom is the best vendor if you are more interested in the liquid variants. It offers high-quality, liquid formulas that are entirely organic. These products are ideal for mixing with your favorite smoothie or tea.
If using liquid extract suits you best, give this company a try.
- Small business
- Excellent selection
- Member of the American Kratom Association
- Third-party testing for all products
- Fast shipping
- Money-back guarantee
VIP is a unique company that doesn’t name its products. Instead, it lists them by strain type, so you’re confident about what you’ll be getting in each product without having to sort through any marketing gimmicks.
It also offers free shipping in the United States on orders over $49.99, so take full advantage of that and enjoy the easy shopping experience this vendor offers.
- Specializes in premium strains
- Prioritizes quality over quantity in selection
- AKA-approved vendor
- Third-party testing for all samples
- A good source for rare strains
Kratom is a diverse substance, not only because of its many benefits but also because you can take it in so many unique ways.
We recommend trying kratom capsules if you’re new. They’re easy to use and require no measurement. You also won’t risk being turned off by the taste or strong smell of kratom.
However, if you’ve tried kratom before, level up with some powder or extract. You get to customize your dose better and experience stronger effects.
Once you’ve decided how you want to take it, check out our list of vendors to get started.