Is CBD Legal in Hawaii? HI Hemp Laws (2023)
Hemp-derived CBD is completely legal in Hawaii. Marijuana-derived CBD remains regulated and is only for those who can present a medical marijuana card. Currently, Hawaii does not impose possession limits on hemp-derived CBD as long as it contains less than 0.3% THC.
Hawaii has local stores that sell CBD products to residents. You can also try online sellers. But you should be careful as not all of them are licensed. Buying from illegal sources may give you low-quality or even fake CBD products. Be careful in choosing your CBD sources.
If you are wondering where you can legally get CBD products in Hawaii, let us explore your options and further equip you with knowledge on CBD legalities in Hawaii.
Is CBD Oil Legal in Hawaii?
Yes, as long as it comes from hemp and contains less than 0.3% THC.
CBD is found in hemp and marijuana plants, so the source is particularly important if you want to stay out of trouble with the law.
Marijuana is generally THC-rich, so that it can induce a psychoactive buzz described as marijuana high. Due to its high THC content, marijuana is federally illegal. You can only buy it in states that have legalized medical or recreational marijuana use.
Hemp, on the other hand, is legal in all 50 states because it naturally contains up to 0.3% THC. Hemp-derived CBD oil can’t get the user high because there’s too little THC.
Related: States That Allow CBD
Hemp CBD Oil in Hawaii
If the CBD oil is made using a flowering marijuana plant, it will likely contain a significant amount of THC and thus be illegal in Hawaii unless you have a medical marijuana license.
The good news is that you can still buy CBD oil without a prescription if it comes from hemp plants.
As mentioned, hemp contains 0.3% THC or less, which isn’t enough to get anybody high.
Hemp was federally legalized for any use in 2018 when President Trump signed the amended Farm Bill, removing hemp from the list of controlled substances. Companies can grow, manufacture, and sell hemp for food, textiles, clothing, fuel, housing, and health supplements such as CBD extracts.
You can easily find CBD oil in Hawaii over the counter, from head shops to vape stores, pharmacies, and organic health retail outlets.
Marijuana CBD Oil in Hawaii
Marijuana is illegal for recreational use in Hawaii. Getting caught with less than an ounce of marijuana can result in 30 years in jail on top of a $1000 fine. When you get busted with more than that, the fine gets doubled, not to mention that you can spend up to one year in prison. Possession of cannabis concentrates — even the smallest amounts — is punishable with up to 3 years in jail and a $5000 fine.
Related: Is Marijuana Legal in Hawaii?
Can Doctors Prescribe CBD Oil in Hawaii?
Hawaii has legalized marijuana for medicinal use under Senate Bill 862. Patients with a valid medical marijuana license can possess marijuana to treat their condition. Since 2000, state lawmakers have also allowed patients to grow their own marijuana at home if you’re a patient. The program became complete in 2015 when Hawaii’s Act 241 introduced The Medical Marijuana Dispensary Program, allowing licensed stores to sell marijuana to patients.
If you want to apply for a medical marijuana license, you must be diagnosed with one of the eligible conditions:
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
- Cachexia or wasting syndrome
- Crohn’s disease
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Post-traumatic Stress Disorder
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Severe nausea
- Severe pain
- Ulcerative colitis
Where to Buy CBD Oil in Hawaii?
The best way to buy CBD oil in Hawaii is to place your order with a trustworthy online store. Local shoppers will have a hard time finding a store that carries a decent range of quality products since most major retailers are located in Honolulu. We recommend looking for CBD oil online if you don’t live there.
Reasons to Buy CBD Oil Online
Online stores usually offer a broader selection of CBD products than physical vendors. Entrepreneurial people in the industry get very creative in infusing CBD into different forms. You can choose from sublingual drops, capsules, edibles, creams, gels, vape juice, and even pet products.
Another reason to shop for CBD online is that these products are usually more affordable than their in-store counterparts. Online stores don’t have to cover the operational costs associated with running a traditional store so they can offer better prices, bulk deals, discounts, and reward programs.
Not to mention that it’s easier to research any company that ships CBD oil to Hawaii. You can look at their website, read user reviews, reach out to other customers on social media, or ask the company to provide third-party lab reports for their products.
Best Overall CBD Oil
|Royal CBD – Full Spectrum
||Click for Best Price|
Best Organic Formula
||Click for Best Price|
Local CBD Retailers in Hawaii
As mentioned, the vast majority of CBD stores in Hawaii are located in Honolulu, with a few worthy spots in Hilo too. If you live in those cities, check out our list of the top-rated local retailers:
CBD Stores in Honolulu
- Mr. Hemp CBD
- Aloha Green Apothecary
- Hawaii Medical Marijuana Clinic
CBD Stores in Hilo
- Hilo Natural Health Clinic
- Volcano Ecigs
Guide to Buying CBD Oil in Hawaii
If this is your first time shopping for CBD, you should know that the market is largely unregulated, and companies can get VERY liberal when it comes to labeling their products. Many CBD oils sold over the counter in head shops or vape shops have been reported to contain significantly less CBD than the bottle stated. Some of these products can also contain dangerous chemicals such as solvents and pesticides.
Don’t worry; more companies still deliver high-quality CBD at reasonable prices. The hardest part about buying CBD oil in Hawaii is knowing where to look for it.
Here’s how you can distinguish poor-quality CBD from decent products:
- First, never buy from a company that claims CBD is a miracle worker. CBD can do many great things for your health if you use it consistently, along with a healthy diet and active lifestyle. However, it’s not going to cure cancer or fix any health problems overnight, for that matter. If you see a company making such claims about its products, it’s an obvious warning.
- Make sure that your product has been tested by a third-party laboratory. Independent laboratories will analyze the CBD content in the product to check if it matches the advertised potency. They will also look for common contaminants, such as the aforementioned solvents, pesticides, and heavy metals.
- Choose CO2-extracted CBD. CO2 extraction ensures consistent potency in CBD extracts while being safe for both the producer and the consumer. That’s because this method doesn’t involve additional heat or solvents that could contaminate the end product and compromise its chemical profile. The equipment required to perform CBD extraction is also expensive, so if a company uses that method, it’s a sign that they’re committed to quality.
- Check where and how the company grows its hemp. Hemp plants have the ability to absorb every substance from the environment they grow in. When planted in clean and fertile soil, the plants will yield resinous flowers rich in CBD. The best way to achieve this result is to grow hemp organically from non-GMO seeds.
- Opt for full-spectrum products. If your CBD oil is labeled as full-spectrum, this means it contains all cannabinoids and terpenes originally found in hemp. These compounds help your body process CBD more efficiently. This phenomenon is known as the entourage effect; it’s the reason why full-spectrum CBD oils are thought to be superior to products based on single molecules.
Summary: What’s the Best Way to Buy CBD Oil in Hawaii?
The best way to buy CBD oil in Hawaii is through online sources. You will not have legal problems since hemp-derived CBD oil can be shipped to the state. Aside from online sources, you can also shop around your area as local shops sell CBD products within the state.
As always, we encourage you to do your research before handing out your hard-earned money. Education is paramount when it comes to buying CBD, as it helps you distinguish between quality brands and shady companies that prey on the booming market.
Good luck shopping for CBD oil in Hawaii!