How to Make CBD Capsules at Home
This is a complete beginner’s guide to making CBD capsules at home. The post includes a recipe for DIY CBD capsules, lists of tools and ingredients, as well as storage tips, and a list of pros & cons of this consumption method.
CBD capsules can be expensive — but not if you make them at home.
DIY CBD capsules are not only cheaper than their store-bought counterparts, but you have precise control over their potency, purity, and formula.
Best of all, making DIY CBD softgels requires only two ingredients — and several basic kitchen tools that most of us have at home.
Now that we’ve got your attention, let’s explore our step-by-step guide to the process of turning CBD oil into capsules.
How to Make CBD Oil Capsules at Home (Summary)
- CBD capsules are one of the friendliest forms of administration. They’re easy to take, contain a fixed dose of CBD per serving, and you can carry them around without worrying about leakages.
- Making DIY CBD capsules is easy. All you need is some CBD oil, a softgel cap, and several basic kitchen appliances.
- Unlike with commercial softgels, you have total control over what you put inside your pills.
- If you already have CBD oil and a carrier, you can stretch your dollars further.
- Once you’ve made your CBD capsules at home, keep them in a dark, glass container away from the light, heat, and air. Your medicine cabinet or office drawer is great for storage.
- Keep in mind CBD capsules need more time to kick in than oils because they’re processed in the digestive tract. You should be able to notice the effects within anywhere between 30–90 minutes.
- The effects of CBD capsules last longer than oils and other forms because the CBD is gradually released from the liver into the bloodstream.
Reasons to Make Your Own CBD Oil Capsules
CBD capsules are low-profile, travel-friendly, and mess-free options for delivering your daily dose. And when made with premium CBD oil, they can be more effective than what you can find in most local stores.
Here are a few reasons to consider making DIY CBD capsules.
- You know what you’re putting inside. Maybe you’re allergic to some ingredients or can’t find vegan CBD capsules. Or maybe you just like to have complete control over the ingredients. That’s understandable — we’re DIY fans, too.
- You can customize the potency. Each CBD capsule comes with a predetermined dose. If you use unusual dosages, you can caliber the potency of CBD on your own.
- Your options reach beyond CBD. Fancy adding CBG oil or delta 8 THC to your homemade CBD capsules? Nothing can stop you here.
- You can choose your type of CBD. Each CBD extract, whether full-spectrum, broad-spectrum, or isolate, has pros and cons. Making CBD capsules at home gives you true freedom of choice to find whichever one brings you the best results.
- Your budget will thank you. Using homemade hemp seed oil plus some CBD you already keep on the shelf can save you some bucks.
- Capsules are the traveler’s best friend. CBD oil is precise, fast-acting, and offers high bioavailability, but it’s far from convenient. Solution? Seal it in a capsule.
As you can see, there is a myriad of perks that come with making CBD capsules at home. Ready to roll up your sleeves and get down to work? Here’s a simple recipe for your DIY gelcaps.
How to Make Your Own CBD Softgels at Home
Some people have prejudices about making their own CBD supplements because they think it’s difficult and expensive.
Fun fact? It’s neither.
Here’s how to make your DIY capsules at home, using items that sit in your kitchen pantry.
Step 1: Buy CBD Oil (Or Make It at Home)
If you already have a bottle of high-quality CBD oil, making CBD capsules at home is child’s play. You can skip the list and recipe below and proceed to Step 2. Just make sure you’re using a lab-tested product that comes from organic farming.
You may also consider buying CBD oil tincture if you want to have complete control over your potency — just in case you don’t have your own. In some states, hemp flower is illegal, which is why we recommend ready-made CBD oil.
But, for making CBD oil from scratch, you’ll be delighted to learn it’s fairly easy. First, you activate some hemp flower in the oven, then you mix it with a carrier oil to increase bioavailability. Then you just cool and strain it — and you’re good to go.
Ingredients & Equipment:
- 5 oz high-quality CBD hemp flower
- 1 cup of MCT oil or hemp seed oil
- Cannabis grinder
- Small saucepan
- Rimmed baking sheet
- Regular bowl
Note: This is a general recommendation for the number of flowers to use in this recipe. You can adjust the amount to your potency and desired tolerance.
How to Make CBD Oil at Home (Step-by-Step)
- Heat up your oven to 225 F and put the rack in the middle. Meanwhile, break down the hemp flower into small bits, spreading it out evenly on the baking sheet.
- Bake the herb for 45 minutes, checking it at 20 minutes to make sure none of it gets burned.
- Once the CBD flower is activated, remove the baking sheet from the oven and allow the ground flower to cool completely.
- Pour a couple of inches of water into the saucepan and bring it to simmer, then reduce the heat to low. Place a heat-resistant bowl on top of the simmering water to create a double boiler. Prevent the water from a rolling boil — this is a steady process.
- Combine the flower with oil and, as the oil melts, make sure all the plant matter gets incorporated. You might need to stir only once, and once done, let it sit there.
- Continue simmering the mixture for 1-3 hours. Patience will pay you off. The longer it sits, the stronger the end product will be.
- Take the bowl off the heat and set it aside for 30 minutes to cool down. If you’re using coconut oil, make sure it doesn’t go below room temperature because it can harden.
- Pour the oil into a bowl through the cheesecloth to strain the flower. Once its temperature reaches 90 F, you can start filling the capsules.
Step 2: Fill the Capsule Shell
Now, this is where the process is getting fun.
We’ll be filling the softgel shell with our homemade CBD oil.
Here’s what you need to make it work.
Ingredients & Equipment
- CBD oil
- Plant-based or gelatin capsules (size 00) made for oils (make sure they can handle oils to prevent leaking)
- Capsule holder to make the filling easy and mess-free
- Dropper (your CBD oil bottle should already have one) or classic syringe to pull the CBD oil from the bowl and transfer it to the capsules
- Dark, glass jar with an airtight lid
- Labeling tools (you can use something as simple as masking tape and a sharpie)
How to Make DIY CBD Capsules at Home (Step-by-Step)
- Open the softgel shell and place it in the capsule holder.
- Grab your dropper or syringe and fill each capsule with CBD oil. If you’re using store-bought CBD oil, observe how much it takes to fill each capsule so you know how strong each piece is.
- Close the capsule by securing the top; then, place your pills in a jar or bottle with a lid and write “CBD capsules” on the label along with their production date and potency details (total CBD and milligrams per serving).
Pros & Cons of DIY CBD Capsules
How to Store Homemade CBD Capsules
Bravo, you’ve just made your first batch of DIY CBD capsules. Now it’s time to focus on the best storage practices.
As a plant-based product, CBD oil has an expiration date, usually lasting between 12–24 months. However, the type of oil and the presence of other ingredients can shorten its shelf life.
When you make CBD oil at home, it could be contaminated with moisture or residues from your extraction tools, so the shelf life may be less than one year. That’s why we recommend storing homemade CBD capsules in the fridge.
Of course, you can take a few on the go, but keeping them sealed up in a dark, airtight container at room temperature and away from light is a must if you want to enjoy your DIY product to the fullest.
We have a separate guide devoted to CBD shelf life. It will help you learn about the best storage tips for hemp-derived products.
Final Verdict: Should You Make CBD Capsules at Home?
Making CBD capsules at home can be fun and will save your budget if you want to have a high-quality product without breaking the bank.
If you have a CBD extract and carrier oil, you just need to buy a box of soft gel shells, gather some basic kitchen equipment — and you’re good to go.
We hope that the simple recipe from our guide will help you become a one-man manufacturer to boost your wellness and gain complete control over the ingredients in your CBD capsules.
Play with different formulas experiment with various carrier oils, and once you’ve got the perfect match, stick to the recipe and enjoy DIY CBD supplements.
But if this all sounds like too much of a hassle, you can always buy a bottle of CBD capsules online or at your local store. With their convenient size, fixed dosage, and portability, they might be the best form of consumption for your needs.
Related: Best CBD Capsules & Pills