Does CBD work for weight loss? With a high-quality product, the answer is yes. This article presents the best CBD gummies for weight loss and metabolism from the top 10 brands in 2023.
Although weight loss shouldn’t be a goal in itself, proper weight is an indicator of healthy metabolism — something 36.5% of Americans fails to achieve.
When you’re in good metabolic health, you not only lose weight but also get your blood sugar and insulin balanced.
Metabolic health, weight loss, and blood sugar regulation have a common denominator — the endocannabinoid system (ECS).
As a potent modulator of the ECS, CBD oil can help you lose weight and optimize metabolism.
Here’s how to do it — and what the best CBD gummies for the job are.
CBD Gummies for Weight Loss: Highlights
- Weight loss isn’t just affected by calorie balance. It has a lot to do with hormones, neurotransmitters, the quality of your food, and your lifestyle.
- People are surrounded by processed foods full of sugar and seed oils, both of which are detrimental to our metabolic health. Stress, a common companion of our lives, is also a risk factor for weight gain and metabolic issues.
- CBD can help you lose weight by interacting with the endocannabinoid system (ECS), a vast neurochemical network engaged in regulating essential biological functions.
- CBD is a mild appetite suppressant; it promotes fat browning, enhances mitochondrial activity, protects the liver, and lowers insulin levels. This makes CBD gummies a versatile aid for weight loss.
- CBD is generally safe and well-tolerated by humans. Doses up to 1,500 mg daily administered for several weeks didn’t produce any dangerous side effects in the studies. Adverse reactions to CBD are mild and include dry mouth, dizziness, fluctuation of appetite, and diarrhea.
- If you take any medications for weight loss, talk to your doctor before buying CBD gummies. CBD interacts with 60–80% of pharmaceutical drugs, which may lead to cross-side effects.
Best CBD Gummies for Weight Loss: Top 10 Brands
1. Royal CBD
Get 15% off all Royal CBD products. Use code “CFAH” at checkout.
Royal CBD started in 2018 launched by a group of biohackers and hemp aficionados. The brand has quickly become one of the industry leaders and is now one of the most reputable manufacturers of CBD supplements.
You can choose from five variants of the Royal CBD Gummies
- Broad Spectrum CBD Gummies – 25 mg of CBD
- Full-Spectrum CBD Gummies – 25 mg of CBD + 0.3% THC
- Sleep Gummies – CBD + CBN + Melatonin
- Relief Gummies – CBD + CBC
- Immunity Gummies – CBD + Vitamin C + Zinc
Aside from delicious tangy flavors, these gummies deliver a potent dose of CBD with each serving — not to mention that they’re made from non-GMO, pesticide-free hemp and contain high levels of metabolism-busting terpenes.
Royal CBD gummies are triple-tested in an ISO-certified laboratory for quality and safety — you’ll receive a copy of your product’s certificate via email after ordering.
2. Gold Bee
Gold Bee is a craft brand that makes full-spectrum CBD products containing superfoods, such as raw honey and organic MCT oil.
The company offers three versions of CBD gummies:
- Vegan CBD Gummies – 25 mg CBD
- Energy Gummies – 50 mg CBG + 25 mg CBD
- Sleep Gummies – CBD + CBN + Melatonin
These are hands down one of the best-tasting CBD gummies for weight. The energy Gummies are particularly tantalizing and can boost your energy levels if you feel groggy in the morning.
Not to mention they’re the only vegan product so far that has an almost identical texture to gummies with gelatin.
If only these products were made in bigger batches…
3. Area 52
Get 15% off all Area 52 products. Use code “CFAH” at checkout.
Area 52 is known for its broad range of premium, cannabinoid-based supplements. The brand entered the market with a line of delta 8 THC products; after making a huge success, the guys have followed through with a new collection of “real full-spectrum” CBD gummies.
They come with a 5:1 ratio of CBD to THC (25 mg: 5 mg) — but are still under 0.3% as required by the 2018 Farm Bill.
These gummies are super-efficient. You can feel the pronounced entourage effect from that extra THC but you don’t get high at all; not even close. You can still crush the day and tick off all your tasks with a positive vibe.
These gummies are also infused with other supportive cannabinoids, such as CBC, CBG, and CBN, as well as terpenes like limonene, pinene, and myrcene.
If you’re looking for high-strength gummies for weight loss, this product will change the game for you. The CBDfx gummies pack 50 mg of CBD on top of other non-psychoactive cannabinoids and terpenes — but without any THC.
That’s a good feature on the one hand because some people are afraid of taking any THC in their gummies, but on the other hand — it limits the therapeutic strength of the entourage effect.
That’s why they score 4th place on our list of the best CBD gummies for weight loss.
CBDistillery is one of the pioneering brands on the market — and one of the largest CBD vendors in North America.
These gummies are made with a full-spectrum CBD, so you’re getting the entire range of cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids. Unfortunately, they also leave a distinct hempy aftertaste (nothing enjoyable).
Another downside is the weird dosage. These gummies contain 30 mg of CBD per serving, making them a better option for those who need more CBD in their routine. Lightweight users may find them difficult to dose.
6. Hemp Bombs
Hemp Bombs is one of the most popular brands that make isolate-based CBD products. It’s also one of the first companies we’ve bought CBD gummies from.
Unlike most gummies we’ve tried when preparing our list of the best CBD products for diabetes, the Hemp Bombs gummy cubes don’t leave any hempy aftertaste.
That’s because they contain pure CBD.
CBD isolate doesn’t have any odor or flavor; it also comes with the highest dose of CBD per serving.
You can choose from 5 different strengths, starting at 5 mg up to 30 mg of CBD per gummy. Hemp Bombs sells them in 60-count jars, but you can also try a sample packet first if you’re not ready to commit.
So why they’re not in the first place here?
The lack of other cannabinoids and terpenes makes these gummies less predictable to dose, compromising the effectiveness of lower amounts.
Medterra comes from California and specializes in making premium-grade CBD extracts, such as its award-winning CBD gummies.
The company offers one of the best-designed formulas we’ve come across, offering three versions of CBD gummies:
- Immune Boost – CBD + Vitamin C + Elderberry + Zinc
- Stay Alert – CBD + Green Tea + Ginkgo Biloba
- Sleep Tight – CBD + Chamomile + Lemon Balm + 5-HTP + Passionfruit + Melatonin
The gummies come in eco-friendly paper packs. Each contains 30 gummies with 25 mg of broad-spectrum CBD per piece.
Each batch has relevant certificates of analysis with results for potency, phytochemical profile, and contaminants.
8. Charlotte’s Web
Charlotte’s Web has blazed the trail for other companies in the CBD space. The brand is run by the Stanley Brothers who popularized CBD in the USA by providing CBD oil to a young girl Charlotte Figi, who suffered from severe epilepsy. After taking CBD oil, her seizures were reduced from several episodes a day to a few attacks per month.
Since then, Charlotte’s Web has become a true giant, and despite some minor setbacks with warning letters from the FDA, it’s still a decent pick for health-conscious CBD users.
The brand has recently presented its reformulated CBD gummies, including the Sleep, Recovery, and Calm options.
The Sleep gummies come with 5 mg of full-spectrum CBD and 1.5 mg of melatonin to support healthy sleep cycles.
The Recovery option is infused with a blend of ginger and turmeric to enhance immune function.
The Calm variant contains lemon balm that potentiates the calming effects of CBD while elevating your mood and providing a jolt of positive energy and focus.
Unfortunately, at 5 mg of CBD per piece, these gummies are off-limits for heavyweight users because they will bring too much sugar on the table.
9. PlusCBD Oil Gummies
PlusCBD oil belongs to a hemp giant called CV Sciences, one of the first brands that entered the CBD market. The company offers a wide range of products, including oils, sprays, capsules, gummies, and topicals.
The PlusCBD Oil gummies are available in three versions:
- Regular – 10 mg of full-spectrum CBD
- Calm – CBD + L-theanine + 5-HTP
- Sleep – CBD + magnolia + lemon balm + melatonin
They come in 4 fruity flavors: Citrus Punch, Strawberry Lemonade, Raspberry, and Chery Mango. Some of them come in only one flavor variant, so you’ll need to check your type for details.
Unfortunately, the gummies are vegan. Each version is made with gelatin, so if you’re looking for the best vegan-friendly CBD gummies for weight loss, we recommend checking out the above brands.
cbdMD is a good pick if you’re looking for reasonably-priced CBD gummies made with high-quality ingredients. They contain CBD isolate and are vegan-friendly, so aside from the quantity — you don’t want to gain weight with CBD — there are no restrictions to eating them.
The cbdMD gummies are available in two potency variants: 300 mg or 750 mg of total CBD, breaking down to 10 and 25 mg of CBD per gummy. The price per mg of CBD is $0.08 – $0.10, making them one of the most affordable CBD gummies for weight loss.
The reason they score the last place is that they don’t leverage the entourage effect and don’t have the best flavor for isolate-based gummies.
How We Selected the Best Products for This Ranking
- Low Sugar – excessive consumption of processed sugar is one of the most common causes of obesity. That’s why we picked low-sugar CBD gummies, among which we also picked out products that use natural sweeteners, such as honey or xylitol.
- High Potency – the more CBD in your gummies, the fewer you need to take; and the fewer gummies you eat, the less sugar your body needs to process. Simple as that.
- Organic Hemp – you don’t want pesticides and heavy metals in your CBD gummies because they may prevent weight loss, or even worse, set you back a few steps because of their toxic impact on your immune and nervous systems.
- Supportive Ingredients – our list of the best CBD gummies for weight loss includes products that are specifically formulated to support a healthy metabolism, energy, immune function, and better sleep cycles — and set you on the right track to becoming metabolically healthy.
- Third-party testing – the CBD market lacks regulation from the FDA, so consumers need to do their own research. The only proof that you’re getting what you’ve paid for is a batch-specific certificate of analysis from a third-party laboratory, with results for potency and purity. The brands mentioned in this ranking provide complete, up-to-date lab reports.
- Reputation – we picked out the most reputable and transparent brands on the market. These companies receive rave reviews from cannabis users and are well-respected in the community.
How CBD Gummies Work for Weight Loss
Although weight gain looks straightforward at first glance — you eat more than your body can metabolize and store it as extra weight — the process is more complicated if you take a deeper dive.
Your body’s ability to burn fat and metabolize nutrients depend on an array of factors, such as hormones, neurotransmitters, changes in metabolic pace, inflammation, and the function of the endocannabinoid system (ECS).
Steady weight loss helps you regain healthy metabolic function and achieve a balance between the immune, nervous, and digestive systems.
The ECS works as a bridge for all three systems.
So how can you optimize your ECS with CBD gummies?
What do studies say about taking CBD for weight loss?
Here are some interesting facts and the best strategies.
1. Mild Appetite Suppression
Many supporters of CBD are claiming that it can help you lose weight by curbing your appetite.
Most people associate cannabis with the munchies, as people who smoke weed tend to consume more food due to the increase in appetite. However, as noted by a 2018 study, CB1 receptor antagonists, such as CBD, may help reduce appetite and manage obesity because they deactivate the receptor (1).
While CBD doesn’t do it directly, it may influence other molecules to block them off. Consequently, you won’t feel as hungry as you were before.
In an older animal study from 2012, the authors found that CBD administration reduced the appetite of rats (2).
While you can find a good deal of anecdotal evidence supporting the appetite-suppressing effects of CBD, we need more clinical human studies to conclude on these properties.
2. Reduced Risk of Metabolic Issues
As outlined in a 2018 study, obesity is the risk factor for several metabolic disorders, such as high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease (3).
Obesity speeds up from the overactivation of the CB1 receptors in the body. When CB1 receptors are excessively stimulated, this may give rise to obesity and the said metabolic symptoms.
Since CBD can block off the CB1 receptors, it may also lower the risk of obesity. In a review published in Cannabis and Cannabinoid Research, the authors mentioned some past studies where CBD helped improve metabolic markers in rodents (4).
For example, subjects who were administered CBD showed a reduction of 25 percent in cholesterol over time. On top of that, the antioxidative and anti-inflammatory effects of CBD also reduced their blood glucose levels and improved liver test scores.
3. Fat Browning
Studies indicate that CBD can turn white fat into brown fat, improving the body’s ability to use them for energy.
White fat cells are responsible for fat storage. Their excess may contribute to chronic conditions such as heart disease and diabetes, so fat-browning may be a preventive mechanism against metabolic disorders.
In a 2016 study, the scientists proved the claim about fat conversion. They also found that CBD can affect the way the body interacts with fat in different areas (5).
Aside from turning white fat cells into brown fat cells, CBD also stimulated the efficient breakdown of lipids throughout the body.
Brown fat cells demonstrate higher metabolic activity than white cells. They easily burn off energy as heat, prompting thermogenesis and resulting in a higher number of calories burned.
4. Lower Insulin Levels
Insulin resistance goes hand in hand with obesity and diabetes.
A healthy metabolic function looks like this:
- You eat.
- Blood sugar levels increase.
- The pancreas produces insulin to transport the glucose (sugar) to the body cells.
- The cells use glucose for energy.
When you constantly provide your body with large amounts of sugar, your metabolism will fall out of whack. As the cells are unable to absorb more glucose, they reject insulin signaling and refuse to pump more sugar into the tissue.
With alarmingly high blood glucose levels, the pancreas begins to produce even more insulin. As a result, the glucose levels will plunge.
That’s why people with insulin resistance often go through a blood glucose roller coaster, experiencing food cravings and sluggishness.
In a 2018 study, cannabinoids like CBD, THC, and CBN were found to improve cells’ capacity to absorb glucose — providing better results than metformin, a common prescription drug for diabetes (6).
When your body is able to absorb more sugar from the blood, you feel hungry less often and don’t store as much energy in fat.
5. Enhanced Mitochondrial Performance
Mitochondria are the cell’s powerhouse. When insulin transports glucose to the cells, the mitochondria transform it into the “fuel” for the body and brain. But in the event of insulin resistance, mitochondria lose come of their capabilities too.
Mitochondrial dysfunction is prevalent among conditions involving glucose imbalance and can be a serious risk factor for cancer. On the other hand, healthy mitochondria ensure long-lasting vitality.
In a 2016 study, the research team analyzed the effects of CBD on the metabolic health of fat cell cultures. The study noted a major improvement in mitochondrial function after the CBD treatment (7).
6. Reduced Inflammation
The anti-inflammatory effects of CBD are well-documented in the scientific literature (8). Metabolic dysfunction is often triggered by inflammation. The pancreas is one of the most affected organs in diabetics and obese people.
The increased activity of the pancreas in an attempt to get rid of excessive levels of insulin can trigger inflammation in the entire organ. That persistent inflammation can damage the beta cells, which regulate insulin production.
As the body loses its ability to produce enough insulin — it increases the risk of diabetes and obesity.
A 2016 study showed there’s a strong correlation between inflammation and an overactive endocannabinoid system (9). Adding CBD to your routine may help fix this issue. The antioxidative and anti-inflammatory properties of CBD can improve immune function and protect the pancreas against damage.
7. Liver Protection
Another common consequence of neglected obesity and diabetes is damage to liver cells. The liver is important for the proper conversion of stored and usable energy in the body.
Overloading the liver with high levels of sugar can wreak havoc on this system. Inflammation within the liver may lead to non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
A 2015 study examined the impact of CBD and THC on chronic liver damage and metabolic dysfunction. (10)
The results showed that these cannabinoids prevent triglycerides from building up in the liver.
On top of that, they lowered blood pressure and improved insulin resistance in human subjects with type 2 diabetes.
The authors of the study admitted that CBD was partially responsible for these positive effects.
CBD Gummies for Weight Loss: Explore the Endocannabinoid System
It would be counterintuitive to think cannabis users could have a better ratio of muscle to fat, right?
Make no mistake, studies show this phenomenon is real and can be easily explained by how the endocannabinoid system (ECS) works.
The ECS is a vast neurochemical network of receptors, neurotransmitters (endocannabinoids), and enzymes. It occurs in the entire body, but it’s most concentrated in the nervous and immune systems.
The neurotransmitters are known as endocannabinoids. The body sends them to signal cells via the cannabinoid receptors. Phytocannabinoids — like CBD or THC — mimic the actions of endocannabinoids.
The ECS is engaged in regulating a broad range of essential processes, including memory, mood, immune function, sensory perception, pain signaling, body temperature, appetite, neurogenesis, fertility, etc.
The main role of the ECS is to maintain balance (homeostasis) in all the said processes. When the balance gets disrupted, the endocannabinoid system will become either underactive or inactive, paving the way for dysfunctions.
Many studies show that diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and obesity share one common dysfunction — clinical endocannabinoid deficiency.
Quoting Alicia Salazar, a New York state board-certified health coach:
“I don’t look at CBD as a magic bullet for weight loss. But along with a healthy diet – one that contains healthy fats, grass-fed meat and dairy, and plenty of greens, without processed foods and sugar — sets the tone for a healthy weight. And for some, that can naturally include weight loss.”
Can CBD Make You Gain Weight?
Some people become concerned when they hear about using CBD gummies for weight loss because they associate it with regular weed gummies.
Even full-spectrum CBD gummies contain 0.3% THC (or less), so you won’t get high off of them — nor are you going to have munchies.
The only exception is when you have marijuana-derived CBD gummies with higher ratios of THC, but since hemp-derived CBD gummies are legal in all 50 states, they’re dominating the market so far.
Key Takeaways on the Best CBD Gummies for Weight Loss
There’s a decent body of scientific evidence suggesting the potential of CBD for weight loss.
CBD can help you lose weight by improving mitochondrial activity, turning white fat cells into brown fat cells, reducing inflammation, and regulating insulin levels.
You can use CBD gummies not only for weight loss but also for other health goals linked to metabolisms, such as lower insulin resistance, balanced blood sugar levels, normal blood pressure, and healthy immune function.
That being said, CBD is just a supplement and shouldn’t be used as a substitute for a healthy diet and active lifestyle. It’s not a magical pill that will solve all your metabolic problems in the blink of an eye.
Instead, consider it as a versatile tool that can help you top up your healthy routine for weight loss.
- Murphy, T., & Le Foll, B. (2020). Targeting the Endocannabinoid CB1 Receptor to Treat Body Weight Disorders: A Preclinical and Clinical Review of the Therapeutic Potential of Past and Present CB1 Drugs. Biomolecules, 10(6), 855. 
- Farrimond, J. A., Whalley, B. J., & Williams, C. M. (2012). Cannabinol and cannabidiol exert opposing effects on rat feeding patterns. Psychopharmacology, 223(1), 117–129.
- Dong, Z., Gong, H., Chen, Y., Wu, H., Wu, J., Deng, Y., & Song, X. (2018). LH-21, A Peripheral Cannabinoid Receptor 1 Antagonist, Exerts Favorable Metabolic Modulation Including Antihypertensive Effect in KKAy Mice by Regulating Inflammatory Cytokines and Adipokines on Adipose Tissue. Frontiers in endocrinology, 9, 167. 
- Iffland, K., & Grotenhermen, F. (2017). An Update on Safety and Side Effects of Cannabidiol: A Review of Clinical Data and Relevant Animal Studies. Cannabis and cannabinoid research, 2(1), 139–154.
- Parray, H.A., Yun, J.W. Cannabidiol promotes browning in 3T3-L1 adipocytes. Mol Cell Biochem416, 131–139 (2016).
- Ramlugon, S., Levendal, R. A., & Frost, C. L. (2018). Time-dependent effect of phytocannabinoid treatments in fat cells. Phytotherapy research: PTR, 32(6), 1080–1089. 
- Parray, H. A., & Yun, J. W. (2016). Cannabidiol promotes browning in 3T3-L1 adipocytes. Molecular and cellular biochemistry, 416(1-2), 131–139.
- Atalay, S., Jarocka-Karpowicz, I., & Skrzydlewska, E. (2019). Antioxidative and Anti-Inflammatory Properties of Cannabidiol. Antioxidants (Basel, Switzerland), 9(1), 21. 
- Zhou, J., Burkovskiy, I., Yang, H., Sardinha, J., & Lehmann, C. (2016). CB2 and GPR55 Receptors as Therapeutic Targets for Systemic Immune Dysregulation. Frontiers in pharmacology, 7, 264.
- Silvestri, C., Paris, D., Martella, A., Melck, D., Guadagnino, I., Cawthorne, M., Motta, A., & Di Marzo, V. (2015). Two non-psychoactive cannabinoids reduce intracellular lipid levels and inhibit hepatosteatosis. Journal of hepatology, 62(6), 1382–1390.